Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Vegetable Stir Fry with Easy Brown Sauce


I always wanted to prepare a simple brown sauce that is easy and delicious. A recipe that does not require twenty or so ingredients which a chef in my favorite take out place, New China in Monroeville says his entails.

I wanted some brown sauce recipe which uses stuff from the spice rack and not much mincing either.  I like to push the envelope. I think I succeeded in this one. I hope to hear from you what you think.  You can add red pepper flakes for some heat which I skipped since I served this to my daughter who was nursing my three month grandson.

I used hardy vegetables that keep for weeks in the fridge since I wanted something I can put together for a side dish or a mixture I can add to rice or noodles, Asian or just good old spaghetti. I do not want any side trips to the grocery or any Asian store so I kept all the ingredients that are readily available. Pantry and fridge friendly.

I follow the plant based approach to eating so I use water or vegetable broth to saute the vegetables but you can use any vegetable oil instead.

Vegetable Stir Fry with Easy  Brown Sauce

Brown Sauce
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp water
  • 1 1/2 tbsp sugar or splenda
  • 1/8 tsp ginger powder
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch
Vegetables
  • 1/4 cup water or vegetable broth plus 1/2 cup more
  • 1 whole onion sliced
  • 1/2 cabbage, sliced into wide strips
  • 1 cup baby carrots, sliced
  • 2 stalks celery, sliced 

Mix the ingredients of the brown sauce in a small bowl and set aside.

Add 1/4 cup water or vegetable broth in a saute pan and allow to boil then add the onion and cook till translucent. 

Add the cabbage, carrots and celery to the onion. Add the rest of the water or broth as needed till the vegetables are cooked but still crispy. Stir the vegetables while cooking and the broth is boiling off gently.

Add the brown sauce when there is still some broth left and the vegetables are nearly cooked. Stir the vegetables till the sauce thickens. 

Serve over rice or cooked noodles, Asian ones or even spaghetti.

No comments:

Post a Comment