Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Spicy Pepper and Mushroom Ragu Sub





I wanted to have some plant based food around as a choice for breakfast, lunch and dinner so I do not covet my husband's carnivore dishes.  So I am on a cooking spree these days trying to get back to the plant based way of eating after falling off it I have to admit these past few days.  I love to have variety in what I eat for the day or sometimes within a meal.  

I have crusty baguettes cut into 3 inch lengths in the freezer ready to be thawed and toasted for sandwiches with vegetable laden fillings.  One I have wanted to see if it will work is to make a spicy pepper and mushroom mixture reminiscent of the carnivore version I made a few weeks ago except this time without the hamburger meat.  That is what I attempted just a few hours ago.  I already devoured the sub I made using this mixture and I was satisfied.  It is not totally like the meat version but it made me happy especially over crusty bread.  Yum, yum, yum.  


I am trying hard to adhere to the low fat way of cooking in the plant based approach of eating and stuck to using water instead of even little oil to saute the vegetables.  As long as one is patient in cooking the vegetables, they will turn out sweet like they would if sauteed in oil.  In this dish I did use diced tomatoes with chilies but one can opt to just use an equivalent amount of diced tomatoes.  The presence of these tomatoes will help soak into the crusty bread or roll and moisten it and you would not need any mayonnaise or oil.  



Just like in the carnivore version which I used to pattern this dish, I used Worcestershire sauce to give it a "steak" like taste plus I enriched the flavor of the dish with soy sauce.

Over crusty roll or baguette this will give you the satisfaction you get from a steak sandwich without all the fat.  It is also healthier than the mayonnaise ridden vegetarian sandwiches you can get from Subway.  

Spicy Pepper and Mushroom Ragu Sub

  • 1/4 cup water or 2 tsp vegetable oil (Note 1)
  • 1 large onion, sliced
  • 1 green pepper, sliced
  • 1 yellow pepper, sliced
  • 1-8 oz package of button mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 -10 oz can of diced tomatoes with chilies (Note 2)
  • 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp dry onion flakes (optional)
  • 2 tsp dry garlic flakes (optional)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 tbsp cornstarch in 1 tbsp water
  • crusty rolls
Place 1/4 cup of water (or 2 tsp oil) in a saute pan.  Allow to boil then place the sliced onions.  Let the onions to turn translucent then add the sliced peppers and diced tomatoes with chilies.  When the peppers are cooked add the button mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, onion flakes (if using) and garlic flakes (if using).  Continue to cook till the mushrooms are cooked but not soggy.  Then add the cornstarch in water mixture. Stir till the mixture thickens.  Season with salt and pepper to taste. 

Place this Pepper and Mushroom Ragu over crusty rolls and have a hearty plant based sub sandwich.  It can also be a delicious side dish for any carnivore dish you desire.  

Note:

1.  If you are a strict plant based afficionado, use the water and if you are vegan use the vegetable oil to saute the vegetables.

2. You can also just used diced tomatoes if you do not like spicy stuff in your food.


No comments:

Post a Comment