Sunday, June 5, 2016

Apricot Walnut Chicken Salad



This was inspired by the cranberry walnut chicken salad I purchased at Aldis Grocery Store. You can find it in the refrigerator section of this store together with the other salads and cheeses.

I fell in love with it!  It was tangy yet sweet from the addition of cranberry.  It has that crunch from the walnuts which complements the creaminess of the dressing over the chicken pieces.

I baked a whole chicken yesterday and had plenty of leftovers.  I decided to mimic the Aldis version.  Since I did not have dried cranberries I substituted dried apricots instead. I also chose to use Miracle Whip instead of mayonnaise but you definitely can use the latter instead.

This is pretty close to what Aldis sell.   Do tweak the proportions of the ingredients to your taste. It is a forgiving  and delicious recipe.

Apricot Walnut Chicken Salad

  • 1 large cooked chicken breast, shredded
  • 1/2 cup diced dry apricots
  • 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1/4 cup pickle relish
  • 1/2 to 3/4 cup Miracle Whip dressing or low fat mayonnaise
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • sugar or splenda to taste (optional)
Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well.  

Serve between pieces of bread as a sandwich or over salad greens as a main dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment