Thursday, June 16, 2016

Spinach "Cheesy" Tostada






I have this for breakfast.  This is my answer to McDonald's breakfast burrito which I was addicted to prior to my plant based days.This is my healthier meatless version.  I used Daiya brand non dairy cheese to make it dairy free but you can use regular cheese if you are not plant based.  I decided to use spinach instead of lettuce as the green component of the tostada. Of course jalapenos graced the tostada and I used bottled sliced ones for convenience.  Remember it is still early in the day.

Since it is open faced I called it tostada. The tortilla has not been fried as customarily done if using soft tortillas. It gets crispy from being baked with the rest of the ingredients. I have used both flour and white corn tortillas.

This has the creaminess from the melted cheese complemented by the spinach and spiciness of the jalapeno not to mention the crunchiness from the baked tortilla.  You can serve with cubed watermelon and lime juice on the side.

This is simple no fuss five ingredient breakfast, lunch or dinner fare.  Let us include snacks and appetizers in its repertoire.

Spinach "Cheesy" Tostada

Serves one

  • 2- 5 inch small corn or flour soft tortillas
  • 1/2 cup spinach leaves, loosely packed
  • 1/4 cup Daiya brand non dairy cheddar cheese or regular ones
  • 2 - 4 bottled jalapeno slices or according to preference
  • 1 tbsp sliced green onions
Preheat toaster oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit using bake setting.

Line a pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper.  Place two tortillas on the pan and distribute the spinach leaves, cheese and green onions between the two tortillas.  Place a slice or two of jalapeno slices on top.  

Bake at preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes till cheese melts and the tortillas turn crispy but not burnt.

Serve with a side of chopped watermelon squeezed with lime.  

No comments:

Post a Comment