Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Slow Cooker Pineapple Barbecue Sauce Chicken





We did celebrate Father's Day with a barbecue but not on the grill.  The US Open was held this past week at the Oakmont Country Club in Oakmont PA and my son-in-law attended while my daughter did her weekend shift.  My husband and I together with our other daughter baby sat their almost four month old baby boy and the almost three year old daughter.  The baby was a handful and my husband and I took turns taking care of this cute but colicky boy.  We were busy so I decided to turn to my slow cooker instead of the grill to prepare this barbecue dish.



I used chicken for this dish though I would have preferred to use pork but my daughter does not like eating the latter.  So I adapted the recipe I found online for the slow cooker pineapple barbecue sauce pork chops found on the taste of home website. I tweaked the recipe by substituting plain barbecue sauce for the honey kind.  I also used catsup and red pepper flakes to substitute for the chili sauce in the original recipe.  Since I was busy I used dry onion flakes instead of fresh onion slices. I also substituted skinless chicken thighs for the pork chops.  I served it with white rice and steamed vegetables.  My husband and my daughter loved it.

Fast and delicious crowd pleaser.  Two picky eaters liked it.   Another no sweat recipe that calls for six ingredients and the cook and forget it method.

Slow Cooker Pineapple Barbecue Sauce Chicken


  • 3.5 lbs chicken thighs, skin removed 
  • 1-8 oz can crushed pineapple, undrained
  • 1 cup barbecue sauce
  • 1/4 cup catsup
  • 2 tbsp dry onion flakes
  • 1 tsp red pepper flakes 
Combine all the ingredients in the slow cooker and mix them so the chicken thighs are covered with sauce. Cook for 6 hours at low setting or 3 hours at high setting.  I cooked mine in an Aroma Brand rice cooker/slow cooker for 2 hours at slow cooker setting.

Serve it with rice and a green salad or steamed vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment