Friday, June 24, 2016

Watermelon Blueberry Popsicles



There is nothing more refreshing than eating Popsicles on a hot day.  That was what Maddie, my granddaughter, and I did this past Monday.  We did not stop at one Popsicle while she was playing in her kiddie pool and water table outside in our yard.  We had two each.  They were commercially bought ones, strawberry kiwi Popsicle from the Dollar tree and the other, strawberry rhubarb,  from Aldi's Grocery store.

Maddie with her Aunt B playing outside with all the water toys her aunt bought.  She spoils her!

I was so addicted to the Popsicles, I decided I should make my own with good antioxidants in them like the pint of blueberries I had in my freezer.  I combined this super fruit with the watermelon I also had sitting in my fridge and one large lemon for some tartness. I really wanted it to be healthy and skip the sugar but I have observed before once frozen whatever you freeze loses its sweetness once in their frozen state.  So I dumped Splenda though I could have added a healthier alternative, maple syrup, which I ran out of.


Anyway I brought some of these Popsicles to Maddie's house and her Daddy, Matt, liked it and of course so did Maddie. Here is the recipe.

Watermelon Blueberry Popsicles

Makes around 8 Popsicles  
  • 4 cups seedless watermelon flesh, sliced   
  • 1 pint blueberries
  • juice 1 whole large lemon
  • 1 cup Splenda or sugar or maple syrup
  • 8 small disposable cups
  • 8 Popsicle or craft wooden sticks
Place all the ingredients in a Vita Mix blender or any blender you have and pulse till well blended and liquefied.  

Place the small disposable cups in a plastic container to hold them in place in the freezer.  Pour the fruit blend into the cups and then insert the wooden sticks in the middle. They surprisingly stayed erect in the fruit mixture which has some viscosity to it.

Freeze till the juice hardens.  

To dislodge the Popsicle from the cup, run hot water from faucet through the outside of the cup or dip the cup in hot water till you can pull the Popsicle out of the cup. This takes only a few seconds.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment