Monday, June 13, 2016

Tofu Steak Marinated in Sweet Spicy Gochujang Sauce



I love tofu.  I am grateful for that since it is one source of protein in my plant based diet that does not trigger arthritis in my finger joints.  Beans do have that effect if I eat too much of them.

I love tofu for another reason. It is convenient to use.  This particular recipe is the easiest yet utterly delicious one you could get your hands on. No extra drying of the tofu by pressing.  Just drain the liquid and you are good to go.  No cooking needed of the tofu nor the sauce. I highly recommend marinating the tofu in the Sweet and Spicy Gochujang Sauce shown below however.  

                                      

This way the wonderful addictive sauce can permeate the tofu.  In a pinch it is still okay to eat the tofu with the sauce right away without marination. You will still be happy but the marinated ones have a deeper flavor. 


I discovered how good this was when I left the tofu in the sauce overnight.  It just stimulated my appetite to the nth degree. Different from the chili paste coated ones or even hoisin marinated ones.  Spicy yet subtle.  It does something to the tongue that makes you want more.




You can have it with a side of spinach, cucumber and tomatoes. Do not forget squeezing lime over it and serving it sprinkled with green onions.  Over rice and this salad, you have a complete nutritious meal.  Except for the cooked rice, this could be a meal for a raw diet.


I have recently posted a blog on the preparation of this sauce from store bought gochujang when I made Oil Free Roasted Cauliflower in Sweet Spicy Gochujang Sauce.  Gochujang is available in Asian Grocery Store. Below is a picture of a container of this sauce and a look inside it.  










It is made from red pepper powder and other ingredients including rice.  Below is the list of ingredients on the label of container and the nutrition facts.



The photo below shows the ingredients of the recipe of the Sweet Spicy Gochujang Sauce which I had previously posted and provided again below for your convenience.

 I have a confession to make.  I love pronouncing gochujang over and over in my head as I prepared the sauce.  I felt powerful saying a word I never thought I could remember to spell and pronounce. Gochujang, gochujang, gochujang ...


Tofu Steak Marinated in Sweet Spicy Gochujang Sauce

  • 1 package of firm tofu, drained of its liquid and sliced into slabs about 1/4 inch thick
Sweet Spicy Gochuchang Sauce
(Featured in this previous blog)
  • 1/2 tbsp soy sauce 
  • 1 tbsp gochujang sauce
  • 1 tbsp rice vinegar
  • 1/3 tsp sesame oil
  • 1/2 tbsp maple syrup 
  • 1/2 tbsp dry garlic flakes 
  • 1/2 tsp ginger powder
Garnishes

  • Green onions
  • Lime

Mix all the ingredients of the sauce in a small jar with a lid and thoroughly shake it with lid on till totally blended.  

Pour a bit of sauce per tofu slab before layering the next one over it. Marinate overnight in the refrigerator.

Serve with green onions and lime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment