Sunday, June 19, 2016

Plant Based Beans and Greens


One of my favorite Italian side dishes is Beans and Greens. I did not want to use any oil in my plant based version and I instead braised the ingredients in vegetable broth.  The braising method is a good alternative approach to sauteing the onions. The resulting end product was close to the Beans and Greens prepared using olive oil that are served in most Italian restaurants in Pittsburgh.

I used spinach for the greens though kale and escarole are good options also. For the beans I used pinto beans though canneleni beans are more traditional. I also used seasoned salt to give added flavor in one shake so to speak.  My McCormick seasoned salt has no MSG. My favorite dry garlic flakes is better than fresh when braising so I find and less work.

This is a perfect side dish during barbecues and Sunday family dinners or even a main fare with crusty bread for lunch. I love eating this with rice in my case. Very satisfying and comforting.

Plant Based Beans  and Greens

  • 3/4 cup vegetable broth
  • 1 large onion, sliced
  • 1-8 oz bag spinach
  • 1-15 oz can pinto beans, drained
  • 1 tbsp dry garlic flakes
  • 1/2 tsp seasoned salt or to taste
Place the broth and onions in a saute pan and allow the liquid to boil and cook the onions till half done. Add the rest of the ingredients and continue to boil gently till the spinach is wilted.

No comments:

Post a Comment