Friday, February 19, 2016

Failing Is Not A Crime


Failing Is Not A Crime


In my class I did not want anyone to fail
They should be tough as nails
As a teacher I was a control freak
In my classes defeat and failure should not sneak
You can do it, I preached
As long as you work hard was my speech
You will get all the help you need
Use it should be your wise deed
But alas it was not to be
There were A's and there were D's
To my chagrin there were F's
I wanted to jump the cliff
Until I realized
Thanks to a friend* so wise
Who told me the sad reality
Allowing them to fail I should let it be
It was part of nurturing
It was key to true teaching.
Through the years I happily discover
They could be successful
Because that was what they wanted to be
It was not really about me
Failing is not a crime.
Good things take time.



*This friend is the late Dr. John Woolcock of the Chemistry Department of Indiana University of Pennsylvania.   I consider him The Teacher.  One of the best and also a wonderful mentor.

1 comment: