Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Sweet Potato Gnocchi Soup (Plant Based)




Gnocchi is one of the very much loved Italian soups.  The challenge for me is to come up with a plant based version that can compete with the chicken potato gnocchi served at Olive Garden. When I was a carnivore that was the soup I order first when I went for the endless soup and salad choice in the menu offered by this restaurant.  It was thick, gooey, delicious and full of flavor.  I know I have to make up for the flavor of the chicken by using the proper vegetables and a good combination of spices. 

I had no problem with the gnocchi.  At Aldis Grocery store, they sell Specially Selected brand gnocchis.  I decided to use the sweet potato one.  The store bought gnocchi was competitive with the homemade ones at Olive Garden. The combination of milk and cornstarch mimicked the gooey rich texture of the original.  The vegetable broth with the celery, carrots and spinach helped in enhancing the flavor of the soup. With a little bit of this spice and that, I feel I hit on a combination that is satisfactory to my palate.  Here is the recipe of this hearty and delicious soup.  



 Sweet Potato Gnocchi Soup (Plant Based)

  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tbsp water
  • 32 oz vegetable broth
  • 4 cups non dairy milk (I used almond milk)
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch stirred in 1/4 cup water
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp each dry thyme. dry parsley, dry basil and dry oregano
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg (optional)
  • 1 cup shredded carrot
  • 1 cup spinach
  • 16 oz sweet potato gnocchi
In a pot add the onion, celery, garlic and 2 tbsp water.  Allow the mixture to boil till the onions are translucent.  Add the broth, non dairy milk, cornstarch suspended in the water, salt, pepper, the dry spices, garlic powder and nutmeg if using to the mixture.  Allow the mixture to boil till it gets thick.  Add the shredded carrot, spinach and gnocchi to the boiling mixture and allow to boil gently for more 8 minutes. Serve with crusty bread and you will be in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment