Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Tomato Pesto Avocado Toast


If you have a good loaf of whole wheat bread, anything will taste good on it. Actually even air.  It can go naked.  I buy my whole wheat bread from Aldis where they sometimes cost less than a dollar but even if not on special they only cost less than a dollar fifty.  If you are running out of ideas of what plant based sandwich you can have for lunch then you have come to the right place.  This is easy and delicious.

If you spread a homemade tomato pesto on it using the recipe I have in a past blogpost or one you can purchase at Aldis the whole wheat bread can be easily your lunch with a good cup of vegetable soup.  Since I discovered how good Daiya non dairy cheese, this time I used cheddar, I like to splurge and use a sprinkling. I just saw Daiya cheese being sold at Giant Eagle Grocery Store less than what I paid at a specialty food store.  Check it out.  For a special treat, I topped my toast with sliced avocados which I have plenty of since my adorable Aldis was selling them for less than 70 cents a piece a week ago.  If you have cilantro do use it. It gives a special refreshing flavor to the whole package.

I had this toast with Plant Based Corn Potato Chowder the recipe of which I posted in this blog or you can always pair it with any favorite soup of yours.

Tomato Pesto Avocado Toast

2 servings                                                              
  • 2 pieces of whole wheat bread
  • 4 tbsp tomato pesto (here is a home made recipe)
  • 2 tbsp Daiya non dairy cheddar cheese
  • 1 whole avocado sliced
  • 1 handful cilantro leaves.
Spread the tomato pesto on the whole wheat bread. Top with Daiya cheddar cheese and toast till the cheese melts. Top with avocado slices and cilantro. Enjoy with your favorite cup of soup.



No comments:

Post a Comment