Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Plant Based Corn Potato Chowder


This is the plant based version of the Corn Potato Ham Chowder I posted last month.  In keeping with the plant based approach I skipped the ham.  

I still wanted to have to bite into a smoked something while eating this delicious hearty soup.  I could have used meatless sausage or pan fried tofu to inject this smoky something.  I opted instead for the Easy Slow Cooker Smoky Gooey Carrots which I prepared and posted in another post to fulfill this role.  

This chowder by itself is very satisfying even without these smoky gooey carrots.  In fact my picky taster, my husband Bob, ate this plant based version without them and savored it with all his heart and soul.   He was speechless to find out it was the meatless version.  I like it with them for myself when I am in the mood for added smokiness and something crunchy in my soup.  I love it as is too.

The use of creamy sweet corn aside from the whole kernel one helped in the creaminess of the soup as well as the addition of a good non dairy milk.  I recommend cashew milk which I find is thicker than most non dairy milk.  In fact I also suggested in the notes to use instead of the 2 cups water in the recipe below more milk to increase the creamy consistency of the soup.  It is your choice.  Life is all about choices and this soup gives you that.  With or without the smoky gooey carrots or more milk or not.  Wow, hurrah for freedom! Enjoy this soup and exercise your freedom of choice. 

Plant Based Corn Potato Chowder

  • 1 - 15 oz can creamy sweet corn               
  • 1 - 15 oz can whole kernel corn, drained
  • 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 2 cups diced celery including leaves if any
  • 1 cup diced peeled carrots
  • 1 cup, diced sweet yellow pepper
  • 2 cups water (Note 1)
  • 1 cup non dairy milk (I used almond milk)
  • 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 - 1 cup Easy Slow Cooker Smoky Gooey Carrots (optional)
Combine all the ingredients in the crock pot except the Easy Slow Cooker Smoky Gooey Carrots.  Slow cook for 6 hours at low setting or 3 hours at high setting.  Add the heated Easy Slow Cooker Smoky Gooey Carrots when you are ready to serve.

Note

Substitute 2 more cups of non dairy milk for a thicker soup.  

No comments:

Post a Comment