Monday, February 22, 2016

My Friend Carol


My late friend Carol
Led a life that was incredible
She was dealt with a debilitating disease
Called multiple sclerosis
She was never bitter
Though almost immobile in a wheelchair
She could not walk
But she could talk
Her mind was sharp as a knife
She discussed current events and everything in life
She could still move her fingers
To click the TV remote so she could watch the Steelers
She was a diehard fan
Well in Pittsburgh so is everyone
An autographed picture of wide receiver Hines Ward
In her room was prominently displayed
Her friends loved to visit her
One even made her life better
A contraption he made
So when alone at night in bed
She could with certain turns of her head
She could answer the phone
And turn the TV off and on
At night that was her routine
A piece of candy including
She could swallow and loves eating
I even saw her grocery shopping
Her friends took her out
Access service got her out and about
One time her caregiver pushed her in her wheelchair
From her house to nearby Parkway Tavern where we had dinner
When I visited her she never complained
But instead asked about my family and how I am
Her focus was towards others not herself
Though her life was the one that was rough
When she finally went to that better place
In our hearts was left an empty space
That would be filled with memories
Oh her indomitable spirit and her heart so unselfish
And so I write to you all
Of my friend Carol
Who was unforgettable
Who was tough when the going was rough
Never stopped living fully till she dropped.


2 comments: